This report provides estimates of the non-fatal and fatal burden of disease for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population as well as estimates of the gap in disease burden between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. The disease groups causing the most burden among Indigenous Australians in 2011 were mental and substance use disorders, injuries, cardiovascular diseases, cancer and respiratory diseases. Indigenous Australians experienced a burden of disease that was 2.3 times the rate of non-Indigenous Australians. Over one third of the overall disease burden experienced by Indigenous Australians could be prevented by removing exposure to risk factors such as tobacco and alcohol use, high body mass, physical inactivity and high blood pressure.
ISSN 2204-4108; ISBN 978-1-76054-000-5; Cat. no. BOD 7; 393pp.; $138
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Title and verso pages
- Body section
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Synthesis and discussion of key results
- 3 Context, assumptions and methodological choices
- 4 Total burden of disease
- 5 Non-fatal burden of disease
- 6 Fatal burden of disease
- 7 Contribution of risk factors to burden
- 8 Gap in health outcomes
- 9 Change between 2003 and 2011
- 10 Overview of results by
- disease group
- 11 Detailed results by
- risk factor
- 12 Variation across geographic and population groups
- 13 Data gaps and opportunities
- End matter
- Appendix A: Social determinants of health
- Appendix B: Methods overview
- Appendix C: How reliable are the estimates?
- Appendix D: Additional tables
- Appendix E: List of contributors
- List of tables
- List of figures
- List of boxes
Notes and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above. Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- (8 Nov 2016) PDF updated. Minor corrections to Chapter 7 summary
box on p83 and cancer contribution to the gap on pviii.
Previous version: Australian Burden of Disease Study: impact and causes of illness and death in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people 2011 (5.3MB PDF)
AIHW 2016. Australian Burden of Disease Study: impact and causes of illness and death in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people 2011. Australian Burden of Disease Study series no. 6. Cat. no. BOD 7. Canberra: AIHW.